Saturday, July 19, 2014

Things that I Enjoy Even More

Now that I'm 39, there are many things I don't enjoy as much as I used to.  For example, smoke bombs.  Man, I used to think there was no thrill greater than a good smoke bomb, and if I could just get my hands on a dozen or so of those rascals, my life would be perfect.  Another thing was GI Joes.  This was back when GI Joe was full-size, and there were some of them that had beards.  And they had jeeps.  God, they were so cool.  They all had that scar on the side of their face.  And their hands were shaped that weird way - like one was for holding a sandwich and the other for picking a booger, I don't know what was up with that - but I used to love GI Joes.  And toy trucks.  And playing in a dirt pile.  Give me a toy truck and point me to a dirt pile and I could ask nothing more.

But I don't get into those things like I used to.  In fact, if you showed me a GI Joe in a Tonka Truck on a dirt pile with a smoke bomb going off, I'd be like, "meh."  I used to dream about that.

So what do I enjoy now?  Lots of things.  For example, naps.  I love me some naps.  And to think I used to hate naps; I'd do anything to avoid taking one.  If I fell asleep in the middle of the day, it was like I was being cheated out of something.  Now it's like a reward.  Another thing I like that I used to hate was getting to bed at a reasonable hour.  By "reasonable" I mean 8:45 or 9:00.  I used to love staying up to midnight or later.  What was I thinking?  Midnight is for suckers, I'm thinking of putting that on a bumper sticker.  I also dig it when my knees don't hurt.  When I was a kid, my knees never hurt, but I didn't appreciate it the way I do now.  Now when my knees don't hurt, it's like, my knees don't hurt - fabulous!

So that's the way it is.  When we're young we like some things, and when we're old    middle aged    mature  more experienced, we like other things.  I used to like toy trucks and dirt piles, now I like naps and when my knees don't hurt.

I can hardly wait to see what I'll like next.